Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Darkness

So I lost power during the hurricane. In fact, I had no power from late Monday until sometime Friday, and this poem-ish thing is about that- there's no windows in a decent bit of my dorm, so it was pitch black and I learned to navigate by touch and sound.
I don't actually think I captured the blind experience here. I just think I got the point that blind people can and do learn to work without sight and that it's nothing like the hour luncheons where people use a blindfold.

Darkness
No windows, no light.
I can't see.
Nothing.
It's not my eyes, not my life,
Not my everyday.
Just now, with the power out.
Stumbling, fumbling in the darkness,
I wonder how people live like this.
But then a change,
Something they don't teach you in the hour luncheons of fakery:
Time.
Days, not hours.
Adjustment, accommodation.
Working my sound, working by touch.
Learning more, fumbling less.
Time is key.
Adjustment is key.
Learning another way, another function.
Just different.
Not wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.