Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Monday, October 15, 2012

You Can't Know

Trigger Warning: Mention of death, assumptions getting people killed

You just can't.
Really, he's not like you, you're not like him, you're not like them.
All the time.
Not knowing. I can never know.
I haven't seen. If I saw, I might know.
But I am not him, so I can not know.
I can never know what goes on in a head not my own.
Of course.
But I didn't say what was.
Only that you can't know, and now,
Now it is all about how I can't.
And I can't.
But neither can you.
And maybe, just maybe, I have more to work with,
More "maybe,"
More "been somewhere like that,"
More things in common to work with,
That maybe I have a better idea than you think I could.
Not a "know," never a "know."
Like you said, I can't know.
And like you implied, not realizing it:
You can't know.
I can't know.
Only he knows unless he tells us.
And you spend your life insisting that he can't.
So I can't know.
Because I'm not like him.
Just like you're not like him.
And you can't know either.
All we have are guesses, assumptions,
And the ones you're making have killed.

1 comment:

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.