Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

DONE!

Finals are done (YAY!), I'm almost done packing for India, and I am excited about going. I'm a bit worried about the ``stay in a group of at least three" thing, since that does make it harder to come up with alone time post overload. I think I'm just going to use my headphones- I've been told that wearing headphones tells people ``I am not available for conversation unless it is an emergency," which is kinda where I am when I'm in pretty much any of the overload states (social, sensory, emotional, whatever.)
On another note, I've noticed that if you can function, even people who have seen first-hand every single one of the autistic traits that you have and are listed in the DSM tend not to put the pieces together. They still think you're just weird. Speaks well for my ability to simultaneously not worry about the dictionary of flapping and still have people not figure out what's really going on inside my head. (I've seen enough people go for the ``baby voice" on autistic folk, even adults, that I'm in no rush to shout it from the rooftops.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.