Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

DAGNABBIT, Autism Speaks!

Warning: If fear-mongering about autism triggers you, stay AWAY from this post.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3xx43jCzy1r66mn2o1_1280.jpg
It's an Autism Speaks Poster. The image description is below:

[Image description: Close up of a train poster. The top reads “WALK NOW FOR AUTISM SPEAKS” with blue puzzle pieces on the sides. Next to it reads “In partnership with” and shows the logo for the Marcus Autism Center. In large font “Atlanta Station May 20, 2012”. Below in slightly smaller font “Register today at: walknowforautismspeaks.org/Georgia” Below in smaller font “Call (770)451-0570 or E-mail georgia@autismspeaks.org” Below in blue font “Did you know?” In smaller blue font below in bullet points “Today a shocking 1 in 88 children is diagnosed with autism. 1 in 54 boys is on the autism spectrum. A new case is diagnosed every 11 minutes. There is no medical detection or cure for autism.” Below in smaller black font “Family teams, corporate teams, individual walkers, agencies and organizations, virtual walkers… Join us as we walk in support of research and awareness to bring hope to everyone affected by autism.” At the bottom is the Austism Speaks logo and website.]

It's pretty standard fear-mongering. Also, why did the last poster say 20 minutes and this one say 11?
Also, we have plenty of hope. Mine is mostly hope that you guys will GO AWAY and STOP FEAR-MONGERING. NOW. Of course, there is also hope for my future, nanotech research, finishing college, going to grad school... all the things Autism Speaks would probably like to have you believe your child will never do without a cure. And all things that I, an autistic adult, am doing. That doesn't mean I think every autistic can do all of those things, but...
Seriously. With proper supports (which are different for every individual) we can live happy, productive lives, get married, have kids if we want them, and everything else we personally feel it is important to do.
1 in 88 isn't shocking unless you're shocked. I'm not.
1 in 88 includes Aspergers. 1 in 88 includes the people who have never had formal accommodations but are still autistic. 1 in 88 includes the non-verbal fecal smearers. 1 in 88 doesn't tell us what autism is. 1 in 88. The way they say 1 in 88 makes it sound scary.
Saying there is no medical detection or cure makes it sound like we need a cure. Point of fact, plenty of autistics would refuse a cure if offered. It makes it sound like we need a medical test. But... identical twins where one is autistic and the other isn't DO exist. So no purely genetic test with perfect accuracy can never be possible.
And the main point is that this is a load of fear-mongering that hurts us instead of helping us. So they should stop.


2 comments:

  1. I don't need a cure, I need more understanding from society. If I could, I'd redo my childhood....maybe they can come up with a cure for abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankly, I don't care if Autism Speaks is listening at this point. I'd be satistifed if they'd just shut the hell up.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.